Saturday 5 November 2016

Random memoirs of S.V.R. Surat

Old memories of my Engineering College S.V.R. Surat is so engaging ,so enticing that it is difficult for me to forsake it . It is like a genie , when it is touched like 'Aladin ka Chirag' ,the train of memories come like gale enveloping each other . Just before getting invitation for admission in S.V.R. Surat which is known  now a days as NIT, Surat . But before going to Surat , what I was doing ! I was loitering on the streets of Patna , capital of Bihar, Patna was my maternal grand pa's place also, so naturally I had no difficulty for staying .

My interest for coming to Patna & staying  here was veering towards Sinha Library ,as maximum of my quality time was spent there . In Patna ,there are two famous libraries  , one is Khuda Bux Library & other is my beloved Sinha Library . In the decade of sixties , Sinha Library was well maintained , book lovers were in abundance & reading place maintained pin drop silence . On the raised podium wall there was imposing oil painting of Dr Sachida Nand Sinha & of Madam Sharda Sinha . It always seemed they were emitting benign halo over the readers of books & periodicals . At that time or in that era there was no invasion of mobile phones , so always remained imposing silence!
Sinha Library
Due to my frequent visit to library , the librarian always gave me a benign look & gradually I was allowed to go to the corridor of upstairs which was crammed by wooden Almira's ,keeping nonchalant rows of books . I was free to fiddle the pages of kept books & many a times, thrilled by seeing the underlined paras on the pages as it was underlined by great Sachinand Sinha.. During one of such endeavours, I got hold a book 'Pisach Ki Pyas '.It was a  Hindi translation of Dracula written by Bram Stoker in English . At that time I was not proficient in English language so it was a sort of 'Ureka'  for me . I immediately got it issued from the library & it was a hot cake in the whole maternal household . Every body was after this book . I do not know , why this particular book was making waves in the decade of sixties & seventies . Its author Bram Stoker wrote many novels such as The Jewel of Seven Stars, Dracula's Guest, The lady of the Shroud, The
 Lair of the White Worm etc , but none became famous as Dracula.  I got the invitation for admission from S.V.R. Surat & went to Surat in 1967.  In the year 1968 I was in Servant Quarter which was our hostel of the college. The servant quarter has the structure as shown in the picture .
Servant Quarter during Flood

The saga of going to movies in the evening show or visiting late night show was in vogue It is surprising I remember ,the name of movies ,their actors of the movies seen during college period & particularly of 1st year & 2nd year . Perhaps it was the call of age as enthusiasm was fermenting & was apparent in our overtures.

In 1968 there was galore of English movies . In the movies Where Eagles Dare , The Guns of Navarone, movies of James Bond series such as The man with Golden Gun. Gold Finger.
, Thunder Ball. The hilarious movie Mad Mad World & of course horror movies . My peers at S.V.R must be remembering these movies .
Dracula

Mad Mad World

Where Eagles Dare

Bond film Casio Royale

Dracula

Dr Terrors House of Terrors
The posters shown must have rekindled  memories of my friends , buddies. folks & peers  . There are umpteen episodes attached rather episodic saga of that period opening the floodgate of ' Yadon Ki Barat' ,all fusing with each other ! .                                                        

4 comments:

  1. Did you see any of Gregory peck movie. If not I suggest to see "To kill a mocking bird". A great movie based on greater book of same name by Ms. Harper Lee. If you want it (movie as well as book), let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are missing two great movies,Mackenna's Gold and Great Race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not able to see Mackenna's Gold & Great Race but heard good adulation from fellow folks. When I geared up to see them they were replaced in movie hall by another movie . To kill a mocking bird ' seems to be a satirical title & I will love to read it .

      Delete