Tuesday 17 March 2020

Memoirs !

Memories are what ? I know memoirs are mine . It is my story ,no different from any other story .I am everybody ,anybody ,but it is my story ,the only one I have ! A boy 8 to 9 years old sensitive to extreme always looking towards it's surrounding ,munch new experiences of life,making him confused insular or gregarious at times. It is just mining the privacy .

Dolls !
 I was at Siwan in the year 1956-57, daily going through new experiences ,new feeling of elation ,surly or brusque depending on the situation I confronted . My Mausi had come from Purnia to live with us .She was 4 to 5 year elder to me & she was darling of my mother .. My mother had taken responsibility on her shoulder to train her in household chores .The hassles for it were varied ,but my mother always kept keen eye on her , never allowed her to be glum & sullen after all she had been plucked from the hoard of  brothers as she was endowed by five brothers ,all ingenious ,adventurist so harassed ,harried but always curious to boot & gradually attaining tomboyish nature.

                                          In this backdrop ,it was difficult for her to remain normal so always going surly .But natural . Mother was versatile ,she made a doll for her ,very intellectual looking doll & doll's facial demeanour was pensive & thoughtful devoid of fun & frolic . Mother arranged an empty card board shoe box ,where she was to keep the doll & other trifles necessary for her  doll & mother had promised ,soon she will make he doll as doll bridegroom to complete her household of  dolls !

                We were in the vicinity of gentrified jewelers & one was Badri Sau owner of massive mansion & our house owner also . Papa was in administrative hierarchy of Siwan as officer,so Badri Sau & his family always behaved  with due courtesy & respect towards us . His daughters all unmarried but of marriageable age ,slightly on buxom side requested umpteen times my mother to send my Mausi to their place for company . One evening me along with Mausi were sent to Badri Sau's place chaperoned by a peone .

We were treated very cordially & with due courtesy & in the last we were usheared in the game room of jeweler's daughter. There in the glass paneled wardrobe we were face to face with the trove of dolls,well attired in ethnic Rajasthani with all the  trifles necessary for household activities . The whole spectacle made me dumb & I don't know how to react & how my Mausi felt . Her doll poor,intellectual & reflective  to boot & here dolls oozing with fun & frolic gaudily attired , what a contrast !  I felt terrific inferiority complex & faces of ethnically attired dolls are unforgettable for me .

                               Face of that intellectual doll made by mother for Mausi is also unforgettable for me . I always pondered ,whether it was versatility & skill of my mother made a thoughtful , reflective but bit forlorn doll or the doll put in glass panel reeking in money emitting the aura of a rich patron !



    















No comments:

Post a Comment