Monday 23 September 2019

Memoirs !

Chronicling memories is most bizzare passion to follow . It comes like kaleidoscope ,changing patterns & colour with no control over it ,changing after every few minutes only leading towards gaiety & playfulness   or of  cloistered memories  laced with pathos & emotion depending on the direction ,one gives to it   I,in the age of 10 & 12 years was more indulgent towards gay abandon ,always pampering myself in search of fun & frolic  compared to pathos & emotion as it starts after 30 years of age ,when one enters in married life with one or two kids & struggle for life starts either for career advancements or for demands made by your dependents !



  Film songs ,specially old film songs are very important diaries which chronicles not of the songs but the faces of your mates ,their antics , their various mood , & many other things . In 1955 -56 , when I was in Purnea , in the process of growing up, this very song  sung by Raj Kapoor was so hit , who didn't croon it !

                              मेरा  जूता  है जापानी   , ये पतलून  इंग्लिस्तानी
                              सर   पे लाल   टोपी   रुसी  , फिर भी  दिल है हिन्दुस्तानी I

I had a great mate in my 5th maternal uncle , who kept me always busy in petty true stories , specially liking , propensities & foibles of my other maternal uncles & ultimately his stories veered around film songs . The films of Raj kapoor of that era Awara , Shree 420 , The songs of film 'Baiju Bawra' ,the songs of film Nagin were hits   My eldest maternal uncle liked the song of film Shree 420 ' Ramyawastabya ' very much & always crooned it .so we liked it also !

 

                       रमैया        वस्तावया ,     मैंने दिल तुझको    दिया ,
                       तेरी  आँखों  में  यह दुनियादारी    न  थी ,
                       तेरे   मन में  यह    मीठी   कटारी न थी  !

 The very other song was of the same film & with  same story content



                              इचक दाना  ,विचक दाना  , दाने  ऊपर दाना
                              छज्जे ऊपर   लरकी   नाचे, लरका है दीवाना I 



All these songs were crooned by one & all . The gesturing & posturing over these songs were memorable by lost faces  who are  now cloistered in my memories only. In that era Internet was unheard , so You-tube was out of question & whenever these songs were played on Radio Ceylon , the whole house came in a fit of silence & stillness   as if it was national anthem .

 Now these songs or other classic filmy songs or their remix of that era are easily available  not here but all over world & I think if at all, India has given anything to world , it is Hindi film songs , united them for appreciation  albeit we tom tom of many things but who cares ! At least Europeans intellectuals are not bothered for it .  But just think of that era & it weaved a tolerable surreal world before us but now the fault line between actual  social milieu & surreal world weaved by present story content of films is so wide , so we don't remember them also as classics of any genere   except view it as ' Tamasha'  of gigantic sets & in its film songs  hero & heroine seems to be in state of heat ,going vulgar for  mating with lot of libido throwing around . The other hit songs I remember of film ' Bajoo Bawra'.

ओ दुनिया के रखवाले ,
सुन दर्द  भरे मेरे नाले ,

आश निराशा के दो रंगों से दुनिया तू ने बनाई
नय्या संग तूफ़ान बनाया , मिलन के साथ  जुदाई ,
जा देख लिया हरजाई
लुट गई मेरे प्यार की नगरी ,अब तो नीर बहा ले I

The other song which had moved me of its tragic sequence was

हो जी हो ,
तू गंगा की मौज में जमुना का धारा
हो रहेगा मिलन , हमारा तुम्हारा मिलन I



Films of those era were specially gripping & though ticket for movie going was petty amount  but the entertainment value was much as it was only wholesome source of entertainment for the whole household . Every member of the house specially fair sex felt excited & dressed themselves in best attire . Movies starting from 1950ies to year 1990ies spanning roughly four decades were tolerable & whole family watched it without any discomfiture felt, but now elders avoid to sit with youngsters !

In my visit to Purnea & gossipping with my mate & लंगोटिया यार is unforgettable as we saw the world with our spectrum  & with a different prism of objectivity specially reviewing films in our own way . He is also no more , only footprints of his togetherness is with me .


Continued ..............

2 comments:

  1. I have been ever wondering, what is the meaning of रमैया वस्तावैया. If you know, please tell me. Of all movies of showman Raj Kapur, I find "Teesri Kasam" the best. Written by Shailendra,it was a simple love story, which lasted only a few days. The songs were wonderful with great lyrics and music were a feast for eyes and ears. A song sung by children assuming that hero and heroine of movie, were a newly married couple (which they were not) makes my eyes moist, every time I listen it. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLnk3BcxmU ).Is it a practice in Purnea region of Bihar, that children sing for a newly married couple, passing by their village. If I am asked to select five best movies seen by me, Teesri Kasam will be in it. What is called poetry on celluloid.(The other four would be "To kill a mocking bird", "The bucket list", "Sudba Cheloveka" and either "Summer of 42" or "मैं, मेरी पत्नी और वह")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have touched my inner cord taking the name of Teesri Kasam ,though the film was released when I was in Surat, perhaps it was in 1969-70 & I am telling about the songs of 1956-57 era.
      The film story was based on the novel of Phaniswar Nath Renu ,very famous in Bihar but not all that famous as other classic Hindi novelist . Other Hindi novel of Renu is 'Maila Aanchal.Renu belonged to Purnia & the story of teesri Kasam is of Lal Bazzar .

      Shailendra was a good song writer & the film was produced by him. Film didnot do good on the Box Office & people say it was the cause of his demise. God Knows! but songs of Teesri Kasam was really poetry on celluloid .
      As of the meaning of Ramya Wastabya , I do not know the meaning & I will have to take the help of Google! Some day I will tell you the meaning perhaps !


      Delete