Tuesday 30 August 2016

Disaster Tourism (part--1)

Way back in 1954 in Kosy catchment area , I was with my father in Jhanjharpur near Darbhanga (Bihar). My father was circle officer there & I was six to seven year old ,but I have vivid memory of flood . How it had marooned the vast vicinity ,what feeling of curiosity & dread I felt & how I coped with it is such a tantalizing story which is still etched in my memory . Jhanjharpur was small rail

head now it has turned into a railway junction

                   Now two more floods , I have personally experienced, one in  Surat in 1968 & other in 1975 in Patna & its devastation & disaster is well riveted in memory & it is unforgettable .
                    The flood of Uttrakhanda ,when lot of pilgrim tourist lost their life in 2013 . The devastation & miraculous escape of Kedarnatth temple were part of disaster but the acrobatic act done by NDRF team with the help of choppers , their rescue operation was marvel to watch ,but flood of 1954 had no helpline ,only misery & drudgery of immense proportion was there . There was no photograph ,no electronic media & no question of social media.The flood of Tapti river of Surat brought lot of tragic events & intensity of sob story remained the same .

                  I am trying to revisit my imprinted memory of the flood of 1954 . We had a bungalow of gabled roof ,well slanted & covered by Nariah tiles. It was cooler & comfortable compared to Raniganj tiles but keeping it apart , it had the plinth of two feet & plus .

                 On the fateful day , the morning was bit hazy otherwise all household chores was near normal .Suddenly one peon came rushing  excited & frenzy was writ large on his face announcing Kosy river & Balan river have conjoined their main streams & flood water will envelope whole circle  compound within few hours . I was standing by the side of my mother & not fathoming his frenzy & excitement but his outburst was unnerving .Mother pooh-poohed him with disdain but the peon was not ready to yield . He piloted us to the culvert connecting circle compound to the premises of railway station of Jhanjharpur .Yes ! the water was gushing & its swirling current was filling the swamp full of aquatic plants ,parting the circle compound & railway station .  

                                  Mother was bit sceptical & serious . The excited peon led us to the rows of Amaltash trees which were by the side of muram road ,just to show , hibernating ants of different specie coming out from the holes of the tree roots were climbing on the trunk ,very frenzied as if they were in the knowledge of impending flood !This was metrological nuance ! I was trotting behind my mother .All these phenomena was signalling & every passerby  through circle compound was tensed & forlorn . I was seeing the spectacle & trying to comprehend it in my own way .

Continued .......

 

1 comment: